Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Welcome Back!

Summer is officially over and we're off and running today in 6F! Students began the day with writing benchmarks. We wrote about a personal experience that happened to us over the summer. I will score these benchmarks for idea development and conventions as well as for specific skills that we've decided as a sixth grade team. We will then do a series of lessons based on these skills and revisit the benchmark to revise and show what we've learned. I use these benchmarks as a springboard for much of my instruction.

I also started students on the reading benchmarks today. It is my hope to finish these soon since I use this data to help me make goals for each reader individually. I am eager to get going as we have so much great stuff to do!

We went to the library this morning for Library Orientation. Mrs. Alibrandi talked with us about library procedures and expectations. Students were given time to browse and check out books if they wanted to.

After lunch we had social studies and science. In science we began our unit on learning styles. Students looked at inkblot images and wrote down what they saw in the images. We then discussed what people saw and started our discussion of how we are all different with different perspectives.

The homework is to bring back any paperwork that hasn't come in yet.