Thursday, September 16, 2010

Thursday

Students in our pod took the MAP test today so we had longer blocks of time with them. 6F started their day with testing. After snack, I had them for reading.

In reading, we started a new read aloud! It's called The Crazy Man and it is a novel written in narrative poetry. It is a wonderful book that fits right in with our theme of celebrating our differences. The discussion we had today was great.

After read aloud, students put their graded reading logs into a folder that I keep in class. We then talked about one of the factors that influences us when we choose a book: motivation. I asked students to think about the things that they are interested in and brainstorm topics on a sheet of paper called I Wonder. This will help me point them in the right direction for choosing books.

Students also had a nice amount of time to read silently or work on reading benchmarks. I began reading conferences with them as well. This is where students read with an adult just to work on fluency as well to check on comprehension. Everyone will be having a conference once a week.

In science for 6F, we worked on our 3 graphs: learning styles, brain/body reaction time and multiple intelligences. These are due on Wednesday for both classes. I went over what they are being scored on and students took notes on that in their notebooks.