Tuesday, September 21, 2010

The Race is On!

It was so nice to see and meet most of you last night at Open House.  Please let us know if you couldn't make it and would like to sign up for a conference or to help out in the classroom.

I have been wearing a pedometer for the past week and measuring my steps.  I thought it would be fun to challenge the students and see who could get more steps during the course of the school day.  I have some pedometers from the PE teacher that students may borrow while at school.  A handful of kids took one today to see if they could beat me!  I will distribute these each morning (until I run out) and collect them in the afternoon.  I will be interested to see how many steps they all have compared to me!  If students want to measure their steps outside of school, they will need to purchase their own pedometers.  I got mine at Walmart for under $20.00.

In reading today, we read more of The Crazy Man.  Our discussion of prejudism continues.  I continued to talk about the criteria for finding a Good Fit book.  We've talked about motivation, vocabulary, prior knowledge and, today, fluency.  I read a bit of the book Runny Babbit to demonstrate difficulty with fluency while reading.  We practiced Read to Self and I conferred with a few readers.  I also collected reading logs and passed out new ones that are due September 28.

In writing, we worked on our writing stamina.  We wrote silently for 10 minutes and then discussed what silent writing time looks like in the classroom.  Some students modeled appropriate silent writing behavior while others (for fun) modeled inappropriate silent writing behavior.  Students will be expected to produce 3 pages of writing in their notebooks each week.  Writing done in class counts!

In science, we went to the computer lab (6S) to work on our graphs.  These are due tomorrow for both classes.