Monday, April 4, 2011

Monday

Busy, busy, busy!  Today in writing we worked on our Avatar descriptions from last week.  Students had an adult build them and based on feedback, they needed to revise their writing.  This is a fun activity. I am hoping the students enjoyed it as much as me.  We also wrote a description of a burning barn with exactly 100 words.  We will share those tomorrow.

In reading, it was Day 4 since we missed Friday's class.  I showed an example of a passage that was written in  third person omniscient point of view.  Students seem to be understanding this.  We've worked a lot in small groups as well as whole group with how to determine point of view.  I also read aloud a book called The Big Box.  I'm looking ahead to the next five day cycle which will focus on theme.  I will be reading a bunch of picture books that have various themes.  Theme is a difficult topic so I will guide students as best I can.  That five day rotation will begin on Friday.  Students are working on picking out from which point of view that their independent reading book is told.  This is the Respond to Reading this week.  It will be due Wednesday.

In science today, 6F worked in small groups to talk about cell cakes.  Each small group will be making Edible Cells.  Students have determined who is responsible for bringing which ingredient.  The idea is for them to recreate an animal or plant cell with the cake as the medium.  6F will assemble their cakes  next Monday in class and 6C will join the class for the presentation and to eat it!  Please let me know if you have any questions about this project.  I warned the students NOT to wait until Sunday night to tell you what they signed up to bring! This was a big hit last year and I hope it will go as well this year!

In spelling, I handed out a homework assignment that is due on Thursday.  I called it Take Home Task, but what I did was put together some of the Proofreading Tests from units that we won't get to for the students to complete.  This is the part of each spelling test with which most students have the hardest time.  Maybe it will improve with practice.