Monday, March 7, 2011

Welcome Back!

I hope everyone had a nice week off last week.  It was good for my family to catch up on many things: sleep, cleaning, time together, etc.

Today, we started with some new guidelines for writers' notebooks.  I am stepping up the requirements.  Students will be required to produce 5 pages in their notebooks each week.  The notebooks will be due on Monday this week.  I posted 5 prompts in my room.  Students may pick from any or all of the prompts to work in their notebooks over the course of the week.

We finished up the fluency stations in reading today.  Thank you to all the parents who were able to come in to help the week before vacation!  Students need to write their portfolio reflections for Friday.  I will give some class time tomorrow as well.  There is also a new reading log due 3/14.

In writing, we worked through the body paragraphs in our persuasive essays.  I had collected them prior to the break and gave people written feedback who wanted it on the body paragraphs only.  We are working on topic sentences, detail sentences and closing sentences within these paragraphs.  The next thing we will do in make sure there are transitions between paragraphs and work on the introduction paragraph.

Science for 6F was frustrating for some.  Students worked on putting their citations from the Adopt an Element project into their notebooks with all of the correct information.  I was VERY particular about how the information was organized as well as the conventions in it.  Some did multiple drafts.  We also worked on the rough drafts of the cubes.  I will give Wednesday's class time to continue the work and then the actual cubes are due Monday.