Monday, January 31, 2011

Monday

This morning, we began with a bit of a catch up period.  Students are working on finishing up reading benchmarks as well as writing benchmarks.  They are also working on drafting their published pieces.  It was nice to have an uninterrupted time where students could do what they needed to do.

In reading, I read from a book called How Come?  This book answers commonly asked questions.  I gave students the choice of what they wanted to hear and we went from there.  Next, I gave students time to work on their Nonfiction Conventions packet.   This is where they are collecting examples of each nonfiction convention.  When they finish, I go over it with each students to make sure they are clear about the examples they have chosen.  We will have a quiz on these conventions on Wednesday.  Students need to know the definitions as well as they need to be able to identify examples as each convention.  If we don't have school because of snow, I will give the quiz on Thursday.

In science, we finished up the science readings on matter and the atom.  I went over the notes that they should have in their notebooks.  I also collected section 3 questions that were due today.

We are going to Harold Martin School tomorrow!