Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Back from the Sick bed!

Phew, I was battling a terrible stomach flu so I apologize for any non-communication over the last few days.  It was a toughie, but I'm on the mend!

Today I got caught up with students and directions.  In reading this morning, I started with Read Aloud. I then went over figurative language and the requirements for this unit.  Students are to be collecting examples of figurative language as they read their books for the Peer Pressure unit.  They have been given a sheet that I will post on the blog in case they lose it.  I would like both sides filled out by the end of the unit which is January 7.  They are allowed to work together and much of our small group time will be spent on talking about examples from their books.  Students may need to reread parts of the book to scan for examples.

I also went over the Making Connections sheet, again attached to this blog.  This is also due at the end of the unit and must be full of connections students make as they read the book.  This is not something they can do together as we all have different prior knowledge and schema so our connections are individual. 

Log 12 is due tomorrow.

In writing, we read When Sophie Gets Angry and wrote in our notebooks about a time when we were angry.  Then, we switched to spelling.  We talked about the definition of homophones.   Students then listed, in table groups, as many pairs of homophones as they could.  Then, Scattegory-style, we went through as a class and only got credit for those that nobody else said.  The group in the end with the most "won".  I gave out an extra credit challenge that came from an article I found in the newspaper.  This is due on Friday.  Students do not have to do it.

In science, I showed the Matter Rap video.  We then read section 2 of the textbook about Measuring Matter.  Students took notes, outline-style, in their notebooks.  Finally I explained the homework: answer the questions at the end of section 1 and section 2.  6F's are due tomorrow as they got the assignment yesterday.  6S's are due Thursday.