Friday, October 29, 2010

It's a Scary Friday Around Here!

Everyone is very excited for the day today!  I can't wait to see the costumes this afternoon.

We began in WIN block for writing groups.  My group, digital storytelling, worked on their stories in the computer lab.  I encouraged students to save to their flash drives and work on the story more over the course of the week.  The next couple of weeks we will get these stories onto iPhoto and enhance them with pictures.  It is my goal to have finished products on the last day so that we can share.

In reading today, we read aloud a short mystery story.  I will begin introducing genres and characteristics to classify books into genres.  We talked about how a mystery story has a puzzle or crime to be solved by a detective using clues.  Next week we will focus more on the other genres as well.  During class time, students looked at others' blog entries anonymously and tried to find the summary sentences as well as the response point.  We talked about what good blog entry looks like and what it contains.  I think after all of the work this week, students are ready to complete this assignment independently next week!  Reading logs are due on Wednesday next week, due to Tuesday being a day off.

This afternoon was the Halloween Costume Contest.  I'll post pictures later in the day!

Happy Halloween!  Boo!