Thursday, June 10, 2010

Wet Thursday

I had a few meetings today up at the middle school, so I missed a bit of the morning. Mrs. Claggett covered my class for writing. They played a game with comma rules. Then, they worked on their wordless picture books. Rough drafts are due tomorrow, finals a week from tomorrow.

In reading, I read aloud and we discussed the plot. This is a tough story to follow as there are a lot of characters involved with different story lines going on at the same time. The discussion is so important. I also discussed the definition of suspense, foreshadowing and cliffhangers. Students will need to identify how Avi creates suspense in the novels that they are reading. These papers are due Tuesday along with their portfolios.

In spelling, we played Sparkle or Bananagrams.

In science, 6S shared their analogy posters. Next, we began an activity about the characteristics of solids, liquids, and gases and what they have in common. We used our textbooks for that.